Your primary role will be to build features and frontend infrastructure for our web-based product patentrenewal.com. You will be working closely with our Director of Product, Fred, who is also our lead frontend developer, as well as, our backend team, which is led by our Director of Technology, Mads.
Your main responsibilities and tasks:
- Plan, build and push new features to our web application.
- Fix bugs, write tests and work on the overall stability of our production and development applications.
- Plan and implement infrastructural changes to our frontend codebase when needed.
- Maintain and expand on our component library to ensure that they meet present and future requirements.
- Research and think about the best long-term code strategies, i.e. infrastructural concerns, code design principles, performance/optimisation, scaling etc.
The primary languages and tools we use:
- Django/Python for our backend.
- Gitlab for repo management and CI/CD.
- Postgres and Firebase for our databases.
- Heroku for deploying our applications.
- AWS for hosting files.
- Slack for team communication.
- Trello for task management/sprint planning.
Bonus tasks depending on what you enjoy:
- Plan, present and implement UI/UX improvements and flows.
- Help devops optimise our deployment and build pipelines.
- Improve our internal documentation.
Opportunity to work from London, Copenhagen (at the Company’s HQ) or remotely. London is preferred as we are looking to set up a permanent office in London, where our Director of Product, Fred, is based.
About us and the team:
Patentrenewal.com was established in September 2017 with the aim of building an automated patent renewal management tool. Our product has been “live” for a year and is used by a growing number of small, medium and large law firms. We are backed by seasoned investors and our Board of Directors, and we have raised two rounds of funding to get to where we are now.
We are a small engineering team of 5 developers who work closely together on frontend, backend and devops tasks. We each have our areas of expertise, but we place a lot of emphasis on being multi-disciplinary. We do not expect anyone to work on all codebases, but we encourage everyone to keep up to date with the developments in our frontend, backend and devops pipelines. Most importantly, we all take ownership of the code that we write regardless of language, application or area of expertise.
We work with our Sales and Marketing teams to gather user feedback, find and fix bugs, and plan new features. We believe in small and dynamic teams that can quickly adjust to changing requirements, burning needs and new ideas.
We work in two-week sprints and hold daily stand-up meetings every morning. We push new code every day and focus on small incremental improvements rather than big-bang releases (although we’ve had a couple of those too!).
- We will be spending a lot of time together so a winning personality is a “must-have”.
- Experience building applications with one of the following: Vue/React/Angular.
- No formal CS education required. Experience with Googling/Stack Overflow/READMEs/Youtube videos/code experimentation etc. IS a requirement.
- Curious and obsessive about learning more about whatever tool/language you’re using.
- Perfectionist when there’s time and pragmatic when it counts.
Things that shouldn’t need to be said, but just for good measure are...
We are an open and fair company. We like to have fun and profit, but not at the expense of someone else. We don’t discriminate on the basis of background, race, gender, sexual orientation or physical disabilities and we expect the same from you.